7 Days / 6 Nights
On Request Best Rate
BILBAO - HARO - LAGUARDIA (Rioja wine country)
- This morning pick up your car rental from Bilbao airport or from a city centre office if you have opted to stay overnight in Bilbao
- Drive from Bilbao to Haro in the Heart of Rioja Alvesa wine country
- Meet up with our wine guide to enjoy a visit of the old quarter of the town and a tour/tasting of a Rioja winery.
- We will walk to “Barrio de la Estacion”, the quarter where most renowned and historic wineries in Haro are located.
- Winery tour at Bodegas Muga (or similar winery) where we will visit one of the most emblematic wineries in Haro, discovering all the secrets of wine, the imposing wooden tanks and the calmness of the aging rooms. Wine tasting after the tour.
- Enjoy a glass of wine at Bodegas Lopez de Heredia Wine-Bar, a cutting-edge building designed by Zaha Hadid, an Iraqi architect based in London and known for the spectacular nature, innovation, art, daring and subtlety of her work.
- We will walk to the Old Quarter for a pintxos tour. A special selection of 4 pintxos paired with 4 Rioja wines in up to 4 bars while discovering the most interesting spots in Haro.
- After lunch continue driving through the rioja wine country arriving at Laguardia a charming wine town.
- Check-in Hotel
- On your own later if you wish you could take a stroll around the old quarter of town.
- We have reserved a table for your dinner at a well-renowned restaurant of Pousada Mayor de Migueloa, also a winery with excellent wines which, will accompany our meal.
- Overnight in Laguardia.
LAGUARDIA - SANTO DOMINGO DE LA CALZADA - BURGOS
- Today you could start by visiting Santo Domingo de la Calzada`s Cathedral and old quarter.
- Then leaving La Rioja you following along the FRENCH PILGRIMAGE WAY TO SANTIAGO IN CASTILLA Y LEON
- If you take turns for driving days then some of you this morning could enjoy walking independently between Belorado and San Juan de Ortega. We have selected the most scenic portions to walk which will be around 6km/3.72mi (Duration: 1h30 approx.) for this stage. You will cross the Montes de Oca in the forest trails with Chestnut trees, etc.. and ending the day in Burgos. Walking today you will have the opportunity to meet other pilgrim walkers from many different countries around the world.
- Before lunch your designated driver for the day will pick you up and take you to Burgos
- Check-in Hotel and free time for lunch on your own
- In the afternoon meet up with a local guide and enjoy a guided visit of Burgos, with its impressive cathedral and old quarter
- Rest of the day at your own leisure to explore the city
- We have reserved a table for your dinner tonight at a recommended traditional restaurant offering Castilian cuisine.
- Overnight in Burgos.
BURGOS - CARRION DE LOS CONDES - SAHAGUN - LEON
- Starting off this morning if you take turns for driving days then some of you could enjoy walking independently through the "Tierra de Campos" where you will see the wheat and cereal fields that are so characteristic of the Castilian Plains. During the walk you will see different types of traditional architecture of the homes, villages, etc... We have selected the most scenic portions to walk which will be around 8km/4.97mi (Duration: 2h00 approx.) for this stage from Burgos to Castojeriz.
- Continuing on passing through many small pilgrimage villages stopping in Carrion de los Condes for lunch on your own (Recommend: Having lunch in the restaurant of a Pilgrimage Monastery).
- After lunch you continue to Sahagun.
- Upon arrival to Leon Check-in hotel
- In the afternoon meet a local guide and enjoy a guided visit the cathedral & old quarter of the city.
- We have reserved you a table for dinner at the restaurant of Parador de Leon.
- Overnight in Leon.
LEON - ASTORGA - CASTRILLO DE LOS POLVAZARES - FONCEBADON - MOLINASECA - PONFERRADA
- Leaving Leon you could make a stop at the Virgen del Camino (The Virgin of the Way)
- Then continue driving on making a stop in Astorga to visit the Cathedral and Episcopal Palace which houses the Pilgrimage Museum de los Caminos
- Free time for lunch in the medieval town of Castrillo de los Polvazares (Recommended: For lunch you could try ordering in one of the local restaurant the traditional dish, "Cocido Maragato")
- After lunch some of you could enjoy walking independently in the beautiful region known as the "Valle del Silencio" (Valley of Silence). The picturesque walk today will take us though old mountain villages in an area of profound valleys of the Rivers Sil and Duero. We have selected the most scenic portions to walk which will be around 10km/6.21mi (Duration: 02h30 approx).
- In Foncebadon stop at La Cruz de Ferro (The Iron Cross)
- After this you cross the Pilgrims Bridge to the village of Molinaseca
- Ending the day in Ponferrada, on your own you could visit the Templar Castle and the Iron Bridge
- Check-in Hotel
- We have reserved you a table for dinner at recommended restaurant offering local cuisine & Mencia wines.
- Overnight in Ponferrada.
PONFERRADA - VILLAFRANCA DEL BIERZO - O CEBREIRO - SAMOS - PORTOMARIN - SANTIAGO DE COMPOSTELA
- In the morning you could make a stop in Villafranca del Bierzo to visit the old quarter
- Now leaving Castilla y Leon we are following along the French Pilgrimage Way to Santiago in Galicia.
- Visit the Celtic mountain village of O Cebreiro
- Then the Monastery of Samos
- Free time for lunch on your own
- After lunch you will pass through many villages making selected stops until in Portomarin
- Now you will make the final stretch to... Santiago de Compostela the end of the Pilgrims` way! Admire the typical Galician Countryside while walking through the forest trail with eucalyptus trees and passing by cows and "Horreos" which are stone granaries used to store the corn and wheat, and are a cultural symbol of Rural Galicia "The Land of the Apostle St. James". Passing Melide we are getting in the proximities of Santiago. For this last stage we have selected the most scenic portions to walk which will be around 5km/3.10km (Duration: 01h00 approx.).
- Arriving to Santiago go into the old quarter ending our journey with a visit on your own to the tomb of the Apostle St. James inside the Magnificent Cathedral.
- Check-in Hotel upon arrival
- We have reserved you a table for dinner at a recommended restaurant in the old quarter
- Overnight in Santiago
SANTIAGO DE COMPOSTELA
- In morning meet a local guide and enjoy a detailed visit of the Cathedral & old quarter.
- Lunch on your own in the old quarter (Recommended: Try the Rua do Franco with lots of restaurants and tapa bars to choose from).
- Rest of the day at leisure to explore the city.
- We have reserved you a table for dinner at the restaurant of Parador de Santiago offering Albariño wines and Galician cuisine.
- Overnight in Santiago
SSANTIAGO DE COMPOSTELA - SANTIAGO AIRPORT
- Check-out* (*Before 12:00noon)
- Drive to Lavacolla, Santiago`s International Airport where you will drop off your car rental or if you are continuing on by other means of transportation you could drop off the car rental at the Renfe Train Station in Santiago city.
END OF SELF-DRIVE TOUR SERVICES
THE TOUR DOES NOT INCLUDE:
- Tips & Gratuities to Driver/Guide
- Transfers not specified in the itinerary
- Entrance fees not specified in the itinerary
- Beverages not specified in selected meals
- Meals not specified in itinerary
- Laundry Expenses
- Telephone & Facsimile charges
- Excess Baggage charges
- Passport & Visa fees
- Personal & Travel Insurance
- Airport & Departure Taxes
- Optional excursions
- Room Service