The Fátima Sanctuary / the Our Lady of the Rosary Basilica
. This pilgrimage centre evokes the apparitions made by Our Lady to the three shepherds, Lúcia, Francisco and Jacinta, that took place in 1917 and were recognised in 1930. The site was a rural place called Cova da Iria and which belonged to Lúcia´s parents who then donated it for the sanctuary. It was here the first apparition occurred. The Sanctuary complex includes the Basilica, a Prayer Area, the Chapel of Apparitions, the Our Lady of Suffering Retreat, the Our Lady of Rest Retreat, the Our Lady of Carmel Retreat and the Paul VI Pastoral Centre. The Basilica was designed by Dutchman Gerard van Kriechen and built by architect João Antunes. The first stone was blessed in 1928, but the church was only consecrated in 1954.
A typical fishing town, Nazaré
is nowadays a busy summer resort, where side by side with the crowds of tourists, one still sees all over the streets of the town the fish-sellers, and the carapaus (horse mackerel) laid out to dry.
Óbidos - This delightful town of white houses adorned with bougainvillaeas and honeysuckle is entirely surrounded by medieval walls built by order of King Dom Fernando (14th century).
The town, which is forbidden to car traffic, is entered by various gateways, of which the most outstanding is the southern entrance, decorated with 18th century tiles.
The castle, situated at the highest point, was built by order of King Dom Dinis (14th century), who gave it as a wedding present to his wife Dona Isabel, the Holy Queen, and it now houses one of the most exclusive country-house hotels in Portugal, with only six rooms.