1 Day (Duration: 08h30 approx.)
On Request Best Rate
Nestling midway along Terceira Island´s southern shoreline, the charming city of Angra do HeroÃsmo is one of the jewels in the Azores crown.
Airy and cosmopolitan, it was deservedly named a UNESCO World Heritage site in 1983 in recognition of the strategic role the mid-Atlantic port has played over the centuries.
Dominating the cityscape, Angra´s 16th century SÃ© cathedral features an interesting interior of exotic carved wood, engraved silver and rare treasures.
In the centre of the island, a short drive north of Angra do HeroÃsmo, Terceira´s volcanic origins can be seen in the form of a 3-kilometre-wide crater (the largest in the Azores) called the Caldeira de Guilherme Moniz. Also worth seeing nearby are the Algar do CarvÃ£o (an enormous subterranean cave) and the hot steaming geysers of Furnas do Enxofre.
- Departure from the Hotel at 09:00 AM. Passing by Serretinha, Salga and Porto Martins we reach Praia da VitÃ³ria.
- Visit to the Mother Church and to the town center.
- The tour continues to Serra do Cume, with an altitude of 545 meters and the most panoramic view over Praia da VitÃ³ria and its bay.
- Next stop will be at Caldeira de Guilherme Moniz, a crater with 15 kilometre perimeter and the largest at the archipelago.
- The drive goes on to the Fumarolas of Furnas do Enxofre. Return to Angra for lunch at a local Restaurant, passing by Terra ChÃ£ and S. Carlos.
- After lunch the first stop will be at Monte Brasil, protected area, and Pico das Cruzinhas, with magnificent view over Angra do HeroÃsmo, classified by UNESCO as Historical Universal Patrimony.
- The tour continues to S. Mateus, Porto dos Cinco and from there to Pico da Bagacina, interesting lava region, where wild cattle are bred.
- The next stop will be at Algar do CarvÃ£o* (* Only open between June 1st and September 30th Optional visit.), considered a geological nature reserve, formed by caves with 100 metres deep, with curious geological formations and a lake.
- Continuing to Biscoitos to visit the Wine Museum and for a short walk on the natural swimming pools area.
- Return to the Hotel at 05:30 PM.
THE TOUR INCLUDES:
- Transportation hotel/tour/hotel
- English-Speaking Guide
- Entrance Fees when with Guide
- (L) Lunch
- Local Taxes
THE TOUR DOES NOT INCLUDE:
- Transfers not specified in the itinerary
- Entrance fees not specified in the itinerary
- Beverages not specified in selected meals
- Meals not specified in itinerary
- Laundry Expenses
- Telephone & Facsimile charges
- Excess Baggage charges
- Passport & Visa fees
- Personal & Travel Insurance
- Airport & Departure Taxes
- Optional excursions
- Room Service
- Tip and Gratuities to Local guide