8 Days / 7 Nights
On Request Best Rate
MADRID - EZCARAY (LA RIOJA)
24 km/15 miles
- Guests are collected at the agreed time at the airport or their hotel in Madrid.
- Transit by minibus (4 hours) to a charming mountain hotel in the ski resort of Ezcaray
- En-route Pause for a light lunch, followed by a tour of the landmarks of the ancient city of Burgos.
- From Santo Domingo La Calzada we bicycle the last 15 miles along the river Oja as far as Ezcaray.
- Upon arrival, welcome drink, delivery of tour documents and bicycle selection process.
- Time for a stroll around to the village through which flows the river Oja, giving its name to the Autonomous Region of La Rioja
- Dinner at the hotel
- Overnight in Ezcaray
EZCARAY - HARO
74 km/46 mi 220 m gradient
- After breakfast we start our cycling route towards Santo Domingo de la Calazada and Haro.Â (This will be quite a long day, but the route may shortened depending on the group`s bicycling abilities).
- From Haro we cycle towards the village of La Bastida (fortress) then on to Remelluri, where we have lunch at the bodega
- This route, taking us along the left bank of the river through the High Rioja and the Rioja Alavesa regions is gently rolling and follows side roads flanked by abundant vineyards.
- Later, we visit the village of El Ciego where we pause at the newly (end of 2006) inaugurated Marques de Riscal winery, designed by celebrated architect, Frank Gehry
- Transfer back to the hotel by minibus back to Haro. This is the wine capital of Rioja Alta (the High Rioja). Many noblemen settled in this region, leaving their beautiful sunny palaces and mansions for posterity. It has many wine cellars and an interesting wine museum. Our hotel, situated in the center of the town, is a former Augustine convent. Nowadays it offers all the comforts and traditional style of a four star hotel.
- The evening will be free and supper will take place at the Parador hotel
- Overnight in Haro
B, L, D
HARO - COVARRUBIAS (BURGOS)
36-50 km/23-31 mi 277 m gradient
- After breakfast we depart on bicycle following the Pilgrim`s Way towards Najera
- We proceed to San Millan de la Cogolla to visit the famous monasteries, site of the first manuscripts ever to be written in the Castilian language, followed by lunch
- In the afternoon our minibus will take us through the Tierra de Cameros mountain region, following the River Najerilla, and pausing to view the village of Mansilla, now submerged by the new reservoir.
- We will remount our cycles for some of the most beautiful stretches, to arrive at Covarrubias in time for a wholesome country dinner and an overnight stay at a charming hotel at the main square. Covarrubias is an ensemble of well-restored and preserved buildings of popular architecture where most of the mansions have maintained their mediaeval characteristics and charm throughout the centuries.
Overnight in Covarrubias
B, L, D
COVARRUBIAS - PEÑARANDA DE DUERO (BURGOS)
43-65 km/27-41 mi 390 m gradient
- Our day starts on bicycle, heading towards Santo Domingo de Silos to visit this village`s unique monastery, famous for the Gregorian chants superbly sung by its monks
- We then continue towards the Yecla Gorge and on to Caleruega
- From there we bicycle to Peñaranda where we stay at the Posada (Inn) overlooking the main square and the Castle. This inn has very pleasant and comfortable lodgings, as well as excellent cuisine
- Peñaranda is a small and peaceful village dominated by an impressive fortress. Also to be mentioned are the church, the main square in front of the hotel and the palace of the Zuñiga and Avellaneda families which can be visited. Peñaranda hosts also one of the oldest pharmacies of Spain (always within the same family after eight generations).
- Overnight in Peñaranda de Duero
PEÑARANDA DE DUERO - PEÑAFIEL (VALLADOLID)
35-55 km/22-34mi 159 m gradient
- We start with a visit to an ancient pharmacy (maintained by the same family for eight generations) and then visit the palace
- Afterwards, the minibus takes us on to Sotillo where we tour one of the oldest wineries of this region
- From there we will bicycle to Roa for lunch
- The afternoon`s ride takes us towards Peñafiel, whose imposing castle can be seen from many miles away
- In Peñafiel our accommodation is an ancient monastery converted into a 4-star hotel
- We dine at a restaurant previously housing an flour mill.
- Peñafiel is the central point of the Ribera del Duero region in the province of Valladolid. It has one of the finest castles in Spain and a very typical main square.
- Overnight in Peñafiel
B, L, D
PEÑAFIEL - VALLADOLID
70 km/43 miles mostly flat
- We begin cycling along the meadow on the banks of the river Duero
- Our route takes us through beautiful and plenteous vineyards and we pause at charming villages like Pesquera
- Lunch on the way, and we board the mini-bus in Tudela to be driven to our hotel in Valladolid. The city has 320.000 inhabitants, it is the capital city of the Autonomous Community of Castille and LÃ©on. It has many museums and churches with a lively and bustling city centre thanks to its many bars and restaurants.
- Time to rest or enjoy free time for shopping and visiting the city sights
- Dinner is at a typical restaurant in the city centre.
- Overnight in Valladolid
B, L, D
VALLADOLID - SEGOVIA - MADRID
- Early morning departure for Madrid where we will arrive in the early afternoon after a journey of 3 hours
- We will stop for a lunch break on the way, and there is the possibility of including a visit to the city of Segovia.
- Evening in Madrid free
- Overnight in Madrid
- Transfer to airport or your own departure arrangements if you continue your trip
- Â¡Hasta pronto y buen viaje!
END OF TOUR SERVICES